Connect with us

Entertainment

Meek Mill Lawyers Up Against Racist Cosmopolitan Hotel

mm

Published

on

After being turned away from The Cosmopolitan, a five-star Las Vegas hotel, Meek Mill has alleged that the establishment profiled him. Asserting his entry was denied for “no other reason than their culture and skin color,” Meek and his legal representation are taking action against the establishment with video evidence that corroborates his claim.

“Trespassing?”

Intending to attend a DJ Mustard concert, Meek Mill and his entourage arrived at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas on May 25th, expecting phenomenal accommodations. Instead, the rapper and his group were disgustingly profiled by hotel staff who not only told the group they were trespassing, but threatened arrest. Having had no prior incidents at the hotel, Meek and his party inquired about why they were being denied access. However, the staff member insisted they were trespassing and continued to force them to leave.

Recounting his only stay at The Cosmopolitan, Meek said he had been there once for a party at Jay-Z’s behest and without incident. Claiming the property is one of many that discriminates against Black entertainers seeking lodging, Meek Mill’s recording of the heated exchange has prompted social media outrage and other victims of discrimination to come forward.

“This is way bigger than me.” – Hotel Staff

Anthony “Boobie” Dixon, a running back that played for the 49ers and Buffalo Bills, shared football players are not exempt from such treatment. Responding to Meek Mill’s video, Dixon said, “They been doing that for years, they been doing it to football players too. I’ve experienced it, they really be intimidated depending on the look of your party, cold world, keep ya head up.”

After receiving word that they were drawing intense criticism from the public, The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas released a statement. Attempting to explain why Meek was rejected, the hotel cites it was at capacity during a pool party, but it’s unclear how that affects Meek Mill’s eligibility as a patron. Responding to their claim, Meek said he only ate at a restaurant on the hotel’s property, he was not a pool party attendee. Still, The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas is continuing to feel the heat as supporters of the rapper have begun scouring their social media presence, which is unmistakably Caucasian.

In the comments of the hotel’s Instagram feed, which does not feature photos of or taken by a single Black man or woman, supporters of Meek Mill are bashing the luxury resort and casino. In regards to what Meek is planning to do to the hotel, he says, “I needs lawyers ASAP y’all not gone treat me like I’m just a rapper and expect me to be quiet.”

Comments

comments

Entertainment

R. Kelly Charged AGAIN

Published

on

Thursday prosecutors in New York charged embattled singer-songwriter R. Kelly with bribery, alleging the artist and his crew bribed a government official over 20 years ago. 

On August 30, 1994, the day before Kelly married the late Aaliyah, he bribed a public servant to doctor an ID in an effort to obtain a marriage license to the underage girl. That’s one day before the two got married. 

via GIPHY

Reminder: Kelly has always maintained he did not know Aaliyah’s true age at the time, but this new allegation could make him rethink his statement. So far, his attorneys have brushed off the charge calling it “still the same nonsense.”

The charge is being added to an ongoing racketeering case against Kelly which includes child pornography, sexual exploitation of a minor, and kidnapping indictments. 

Expect to see this all play out in federal court in 2020. Grab your popcorn.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Entertainment

R. Kelly Girlfriend Denies Creating Patreon Account, Parents Respond

Published

on

In a video statement given to TMZ on Wednesday, Joycelyn Savage, 23, fiercely denied setting up a Patreon account in her name or posting a cryptic message to an Instagram account previously linked to her. 

“It has been said that I have left him and he has abused me and all kinds of nonsense. I have said before none of it is true… I also want to say please do not believe what you see and hear on social media. That is not my Instagram. Someone is impersonating me.”

Last week, Patreon, a website that helps creators earn money, shut down an account claiming to be Savage citing an inability to “verify the identity of the account holder.” Many donated to the campaign with the expectation of getting more details of the abuses alleged in the anonymous posts. According to the unauthenticated posts, R. Kelly tormented Savage with everything from physical abuse to frequent golden showers.

In response to their daughter’s scripted video, the parents spoke through their attorney. We’re saddened and disappointed to learn that Joycelyn Savage has said that she was not the person operating the Patreon account… we deeply desired to hear her story and in her own voice…”

Read the full statement below:

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Entertainment

A Complete Timeline of the Gabrielle Union-America’s Got Talent Saga

Published

on

In late November it was revealed that actress Gabrielle Union had been fired from her spot as a judge on the NBC show America’s Got Talent, but troubling reports of her exit have caused everyone from Janelle Monae to Howard Stern to weigh in on the controversy. Here’s a complete timeline of everything we know.

November 22, 2019 – Variety Magazine announces NBC will not renew Union’s contract

In addition to Union’s exit, it is revealed fellow judge Julianne Hough will also not be returning to the popular television show. Male judges Simon Cowell, Howie Mandel, and Terry Crews all expected to remain on the roster.

AMERICA’S GOT TALENT — “Quarter Finals 1” Episode 1412 — Pictured: (l-r) Gabrielle Union, Julianne Hough — (Photo by: Trae Patton/NBC)

November 24, 2019 – News of ‘toxic culture’ at AGT hits the internet

Sources with direct knowledge of the culture at AGT describe the now-infamous joke that put Union at odds with show producers. During a guest appearance, comedian Jay Leno joked that a picture of Simon Cowell with his dogs reminded him of something “on the menu at a Korean restaurant.” The actress learned of the joke and explained to producers this joke would not be well-received particularly by Asian crewmembers and viewers. She reportedly urged producers and an unnamed NBC executive to scrap the offensive joke and report it to the network’s human resources department. The line was ultimately thrown out, but a formal report or complaint was never filed with HR.

SANTA MONICA, CA – JULY 11: Gabrielle Union attends Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Sports 2019 at Barker Hangar on July 11, 2019 in Santa Monica, California. (Photo by Gregg DeGuire/WireImage)

Further reports emerged describing Union and Hough receiving “excessive notes” on their appearance, with Union in particular getting regularly coached on her hairstyles being “too black.”

November 26, 2019 – Julianne Hough and NBC deny allegations

Julianne Hough released a statement claiming she “loved working with the cast, crew, and producers and the claims are not “accurate to her experience.” She goes on to say “I am happy continuing my working relationship with NBC.”

The network echoed her statement with a vehement denial of all allegations. 

November 28, 2019 – Celebrities show support for Union

As the news of NBC’s culture made its waves, celebrities voiced their support for Union. Stars like Janelle Monae, Ellen Pompeo, and democratic presidential hopeful Julián Castro, among many, voiced their opinions on the matter in favor of the ousted actress.

December 1, 2019 – Jay Leno speaks out, NBC releases new statement 

The comedian at the center of the alleged racist joke spoke of nothing but his fondness of Union. “I love Gabrielle Union, she’s a great girl. I really enjoyed working with her.” When asked whether he uttered the joke on the NBC show, he refused to answer. 

For its part, NBC released a new statement vowing commitment to “ensuring a respectful workplace for all employees.” The network also stated it is working with the actress’ representatives to hear her concerns and address them as necessary.

Credit: Courtesy of NBC

December 2, 2019 – Howard Stern gives his two cents

To add fuel to Union’s fire, Stern made very choice comments on his show seemingly backing up Gabrielle Union and Julianne Hough and trashing Simon Cowell. “He sets it up so that the men stay. No matter how ugly they are, no matter how old they are, no matter how fat they are, no matter how talentless they are… He constantly replaces the hot chicks with hotter chicks and younger chicks.”

Phew! That was a lot to keep up with and somehow we have a feeling this drama isn’t over yet. Only time will tell how steep the fallout will be. What do you think about all this? Give us your thoughts below.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending